HELP FOR TEACHERS WHO ARE JUST STARTING OUT OR WHO HAVE RUN INTO A SITUATION THEY HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTERED BEFORE.

WE ALL NEED HELP!

I taught full time for fifteen years and am now subbing so that I can finish my novel. I don't have all the answers. None of us do. In fact, even if something works great for me, there is no guarantee it will work for you.
I hope that we will give each other suggestions. I went to all the trainings I could get my principal to approve when I taught full-time. I talked to a lot of teachers. AND I just kept trying things until I found something that worked FOR ME. We can not go against our own nature. Kids can sense that and will test us.
So, don't give up. Keep on trying new things and always know that there is a place to go where you can be anonymous and speak freely.
Best of Luck to all of you. Our children deserve the best that we can offer.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Where Our Students Come From - I wrote this in '09 but it is definitely still relevant

I just witnessed the saddest scene out of my window. This guy was bringing his child to the
mother, but the mother did not want him to come near her. She wanted him to put the child in her car while she looked on from a distance.
So these two people argued for about twenty minutes trying to figure out how they could share custody of their child. It looked (to me) like they hate each other! How did they get together to make this child? Who knows? It could have been a one night stand.
My point is that our students come to us with a myriad of issues created by the parents and anyone else the parents have had caring for them. They often don't know that they are loved unconditionally and maybe they aren't.
We owe it to them to find ways to teach that raise their self-esteem.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing the things that happen outside our window. I will look for some pieces I wrote on sleepless nights in new Orleans. I still remember one scene where two men were fighting over one woman. It was heart-breaking.

    ReplyDelete